Heart disease is the #1 killer for residents in Louisiana; however, the statistics for South Louisiana are getting better thanks to the partnership between Terrebonne General Medical Center and Cardiovascular Institute of the South (CIS).
Through the efforts of this dedicated group of cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, specially trained critical care nurses, telemetry unit nurses and other allied health professionals, TGMC is on the forefront of advanced cardiac care. We're working together to help our community live longer and healthier lives.
TGMC's cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons have the knowledge, experience, training, and state-of-the-art technology needed to effectively treat a wide range of heart ailments.
Our cardiac team has been recognized nationally for its innovation in the field of cardiology. We're working hard to bring the best care possible to the people of Southeast Louisiana.
Treatments include balloon and laser angioplasty, stent placement, corroded artery repair and the latest technologies in the transmyocardial revascularization technique performed with the Eclipse Laser System, among others. Our sophisticated cardiovascular surgery program treats numerous patients with procedures such as open heart surgery, heart valve replacements, aneurism repair and pacemaker insertions. Our program is supported by:
- A Cardiac Catheterization Lab for diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of cardiac problems;
- A Cardiac Intensive Care Unit for specialized treatment after a heart attack or surgery;
- A Cardiac Rehabilitation Center to help patients heal more quickly after a heart attack and/or surgery;
- An extensive patient education to counsel patients on proper nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle changes before or after heart procedures;
- Health screenings offered to businesses and the community
Heart Catherization Lab
Time is one of the most important factors in the successful treatment of heart problems. The cath lab is where cardiologists have the ability to run a variety of tests to determine the nature of many heart complications. At Terrebonne General, the time between Emergency Department admittance and arrival at the cath lab is usually between 25 and 35 minutes.
Terrebonne General's cath lab has been recognized by both the Wall Street Journal and the Healthcare Data Source as providing safe and effective services.
Cath Lab Services
TGMC's cath lab is equipped to provide a wide variety of services;
including these cardiac procedures:
- Right and Left Heart Catheterizations
- Peripheral Angiograms
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)
- Insertion of Intra-aortic Balloon Pumps (IRABP)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTA)
- Carotid Angiograms
- Pulmonary Angiograms
- Vena Cava Filter Insertions
- Renal Angiograms
- Renal PTAs
- Pericardio Centesis
- Myocardial Biopsies
- Coronary Stent Placement
- Iliac Stent Placement
- Temporary Pacemaker Insertions
- EP Studies
- Peripheral Vascular Disease Treatment
- Critical Limb Ischemia