In the ever-changing world of health care, Terrebonne General Medical Center (TGMC) recognizes the need to provide health and wellness information to the community it serves. As a nationally recognized health care leader, TGMC accomplished this by opening the OutReach Center located in the Southland Mall in June 1993. The mission of the Center is to offer programs that meet many of the most prominent health concerns of this area and are based on the Leading Health Indicators identified in the federal government’s Healthy People 2010.
Throughout the year, the OutReach Center conducts various programs, support groups and screenings that are offered to the community at no charge or for a minimal fee. The Center shares resources with other public and private service agencies, which are made available to the community. To view the calendar of events, click here. For further information, please call the OutReach Center at (985) 858-7020.
National Nutrition Month
The Perfect Snack
Kashi Chewy Granola Bar - Contains the perfect combination of protein, healthy fats, fiber, and carbohydrates to satisfy your hunger. It’ll meet any sweet and salty craving and also comes in a variety of flavors so you won’t get tired with one.
Low Fat String Cheese and Triscuits - Low fat string cheese contains protein, fat & a serving of calcium that your body needs to keep bones strong. Triscuits contain whole grain and fiber. Both will help to satisfy your hunger and hold you over till your next meal.
Apple and Almonds - Apples taste great and are a great source of fiber. Almonds are a good source of protein, heart healthy fats, and Vitamin E. Both help to reduce your risk of heart disease and are great to grab-n-go.
Low Fat Yogurt and Fiber One Cereal - Low fat yogurt is a great snack option containing protein, fat & calcium to your body. Fiber One cereal is whole grain and contains fiber to help keep your GI system functioning properly. Both taste great while providing great nutrition.
Low Fat Cookie Recipes
- 5 Tbsp butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter and sugar until dough forms.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a ¼ inch thickness. Use holiday cookie cutters to make cutouts. Gather scraps and re-roll until dough is used.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Makes about 30 cookies depending on size of cookie cutters used.
OutReach Programs & Services
Programs, screenings and support groups at the OutReach Center vary throughout the year. Please refer to the calendar of events for the latest dates and times or call the Center for more information.
Health And Wellness:
- OutReach Opportunity Club – The club is designed to promote exercising through walking in the Southland Mall. Club members record the laps walked to the OutReach Center staff, who in turn convert the laps to miles for the members.
- Flu Shots are provided during the fall and winter months for a minimal fee and based on availability.
- Educational programs – conducted by members of the TGMC medical staff, employees of the hospital and community advocates to provide helpful information on a variety of topics such as heart disease, neurological conditions and disorders, weight management, wellness topics and healthy lifestyle tips.
- Step by Step: The Journey With Alzheimer's (a six-week program)
- Look Good Feel Better - makeovers for cancer patients by a licensed cosmetologist
- Kidney Options - an educational program for persons facing dialysis or possible transplant.
- Smoking Cessation classes are offered to provide assistance for those trying to quit smoking.
- Children and teen programs are conducted on a variety of topics such as: fingerprinting classes, basic and advanced babysitting, nutrition, self-esteem, character building, the adolescent years, keeping kids safe and healthy, manners classes, dental care and skin care.
- STD Education and Awareness Workshop
- Various screenings are conducted monthly and are by appointment only. You must be over the age 18 and there is a minimal fee for some of the services. References will be available for those who need it based on the result of the screening.
- Screenings available: Diabetes, Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Stroke, Body Mass Index (BMI) and Skin Cancer
- The Center offers a variety of support groups and programs for seniors. Programs and topics vary each month.
- Identity theft, crime and fraud prevention
- Nutrition and healthy lifestyle tips
- Living with arthritis
- How to select a home health agency
Support groups are a wonderful way to network and meet new people in similar situations that affect your life. TGMC offers a wide variety of support groups that meet either monthly or quarterly. Each support group has qualified facilitators assigned.
- Alzheimer’s Caregivers Support Group
- Bosom Buddies–A support group for breast cancer survivors.
- CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder) – A monthly support group for families of children and adults with attention deficit disorder.
- Mommy and Me – A class designed to offer mother-to-mother support in a fun and positive environment held on the first and third wednesday of each month.
- La Leche League Support Group (Breastfeeding support)
- Multiple Sclerosis Support Group
OutReach Center Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Mall Walkers Club Hours:
Monday - Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Registration is requested for all programs. To register, request a calendar of
events or for more information, please call the OutReach Center at (985)